Monday, July 26, 2010

Our Little Social Butterfly

Adriana is a very social little girl. I remember one time when she was two, she went up to a girl at a church activity whom she'd never met and said, "Hi! I'm friendly!" While I've had some concerns about the whole "Stranger Danger" aspect of thinking everyone is a potential new best friend, Adriana's ability to fit in quickly in new social situations is something I really love about her.

I wondered how Adriana would do at pre-kindergarten when every person was new, but she's done great. In fact, the director of the BYU Preschool and Kindergarten actually came and asked me a few weeks ago if Adriana had known any of the children in her class before coming to pre-kindergarten. When I said no, she commented on how good Adriana is at making friends and described an elaborate game Adriana had concocted during recess that involved several other little girls. On more than one occasion I've had other moms ask me for our phone number to invite Adriana over for a play date.

On Saturday our stake had a Pioneer Day breakfast at Kiwanis Park. After eating the girls wanted to go play on the playground. I was busy pushing Miriam on the swings (that girl LOVES swings) but I could still see Adriana playing happily with some other kids. When Miriam and I went over to get Adriana to go home, I was in time to overhear one of the little girls Adriana was playing with begging her mother to have Adriana over to play. The little girl was seven. When I told Adriana that it was time to go home, she said, "Wait, I need to go make one more friend!" I told her she had two minutes. That was all it took to go over to the slides, strike up a conversation with a little girl there, make up some game (I think it may have involved princesses sliding through their castle or something), learn the new friend's name, and then head home.

I think we're going to be just fine for kindergarten.

2 comments:

Our little family said...

She is such a precocious child!

I always wanted to get married in the Washington DC temple, but only one of my aunts could come, but all of Rusty's family could come to our wedding, so it didn't make sense to get married somewhere far from his family. But that was the temple we always went to for youth trips because Boston wasn't dedicated until after I graduated high school. When I was 18, me and 3 of my younger sisters all went on the temple trip, and our mom came too. Neither she nor I had been there since that experience, because Boston was dedicated soon afterward. It was very nostalgic going back there, and so fun to bring our kids. I get a little homesick looking at the pictures still. :)

Pamela said...

*laughs* That's too adorable.