Saturday, July 3, 2010

Five Years Old!


Adriana turned five last month. She definitely keeps us on our toes. Adriana is full of energy and never seems to slow down. She is very creative and loves to make up funny rhyming songs and stories or elaborate play scenarios, complete with costumes. She loves books, bugs, dirt, and of course, dinosaurs, but she's started playing with more "girl-y" toys since her birthday. I've always appreciated that Adriana isn't picky when it comes to food, and she's (nearly) always willing to try new things. Another thing that I love about Adriana is how easily she is able to make new friends and adapt to new social situations. While I may be struggling with the fact that she'll be starting kindergarten soon, I know that she'll be just fine.

In honor of her birthday, we had a (what else?) dinosaur-themed birthday party. What had originally started as a small affair with five friends turned into quite the extravaganza with 13 children, grandparents, and lots of uncles and aunts. We had a lot of fun. The kids were able to be paleontologists and dig for hidden dinosaur toys in the sandbox.
Then there was the "pin the pteranadon on the dinosaur scene" game.

We had a fun treasure hunt.

The big prize that we found at the end of our treasure hunt was a T-rex pinata, full of candy (to be put in each child's dinosaur-themed prize bag, of course).

Presents are always an exciting part of any party. We've now been introduced (and completely immersed in) the worlds of My Little Ponies, Barbies, and play makeup.
And don't forget the food. We had dinosaur themed napkins, plates, cups, hats, lunch food (dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets, fossil crackers, and dinosaur-shaped sandwiches). The biggest hit was the awesome 3-D stegosaurus cake that my mom had made. Pretty amazing.
It was a fun party. Adriana, of course, already has grand plans for what she wants for her birthday next year. I figure I have a few months before we need to worry about that. Now on to Miriam's birthday in July....

No comments: