Wednesday, February 18, 2009

We're Doing Fine

Really. I just need to keep reminding myself of that.

You know how bad things happen in bunches? That's been our past week here. Oh, nothing really major, although we did have a bit of a scare on Saturday with Adriana's breathing problems. Still, no one is seriously ill, nothing has happened to our house, Kendall still has a job....

Obviously the first batch of bad news has been this bout of influenza. We had to officially cancel our trip to California. Besides two trips to Virginia for extended family things, since Adriana was born we have never taken what I would consider a "family vacation." Up until today I was still holding out an irrational hope that somehow we'd be able to get to CA by Friday so I could redeem my free ticket to Disneyland on my birthday (yes, I'm shamelessly fishing for happy birthday wishes here). Even though Adriana is quite a bit better now (no fever, just a nasty cough and atrocious behavior), Kendall and I both woke up this morning not feeling great, and this evening Miriam was running a temperature and she's been extra clingy and snuggly today so she's probably coming down with something, too.

Then our windshield cracked. There was a rock chip that had been treated before we even owned the car, and for some reason it chose Monday, after several years of being fine, to turn in to a crack that went all across our windshield in both directions by the end of the day. While our insurance will repair a rock chip for free, not so for an entire windshield so there's another few hundred dollars down the drain (not forgetting the several hundred for the nebulizer just last Saturday).

Next Kendall's laptop computer decided to die yesterday. This would be upsetting at any time, of course, but our desktop finally bit the dust just a few weeks ago so that left us with no working computer and Kendall had school he needed to finish last night (all of his classes are online). After talking with Dell's tech support we learned that the parts and labor to fix the computer were going to cost more than a new computer. Especially frustrating was that the problem originated from the motherboard breaking, the same motherboard that we had completely replaced less than eighteen months ago (and about eighteen months after first buying the laptop).

There have been some other minor annoyances, things for Kendall at work, things with my calling, I haven't gotten much sleep for the past week, etc., but those were the big things. Compounded by the fact that I'm not feeling well today.

Don't worry, I'm not going to end this post with a big whining fest. The point of this post was to explain that we really are doing fine. I mentioned earlier that Adriana is doing a lot better. It's really amazing how quickly she has gotten better, considering how sick she was a few days ago. I was feeling a little sorry for myself this morning when one of the moms from our preschool co-op dropped by with the activities and crafts that Adriana had missed at preschool yesterday. It was so nice to have something besides TV or reading our books again to occupy my stir-crazy and still not feeling great three-year-old. Then I got a call from the company that replaced our windshield yesterday saying that they had overcharged us and they were sending someone to my house with my old check and to get a new one for the correct amount. It was only about $20, but still, how often does that happen? I'm able to be online right now because Kendall's sister, Pam, is kindly loaning us her laptop until we get a new computer. Kendall didn't even miss a day of class. He also received permission today from work to take some days off next week instead of this week, so if everyone is well we will probably still get to go to California. Do you know that I've never been? This afternoon my mom called to see how everyone was doing, and offered to drop off dinner on Friday so I wouldn't have to cook on my birthday (more fishing.....). I've actually felt very loved, with several phone calls, emails, or even blog comments from friends checking in on us.

So thank you to everyone who has written, called, or prayed for us. I really don't have anything to complain about, but I will be glad when everything is back to normal. Whatever that is.

7 comments:

glassGirl said...

Aww. Can I make you a cake? Or is Kendall handling that?

Candice McWhorter said...

I don't have much to say other than I am so sorry! It's so tough being a mother and you are a fantastic one. Is there anything I can do? I am however, just on the other side of the fence and am home all day :)
Please let me know. Dinner? dessert? need some new movies to watch??
let me know

Melissa said...

What a week! I am glad that you'll probably get to go to Disneyland next week! My first time was when I was 21 and have never been back since. Have fun! Happy Birthday on Friday! Another February birthday, hooray!

Pamela said...

Happy birthday! If you need anything else, just let me know. I hope you do get to go to California. Disneyland is a lot of fun. I especially recommend the Indiana Jones ride for you and Kenny, although it's probably too rough for the chilluns.

mae mae said...

What a week! Hopefully you're all well enough to make it to CA. We'd love to see you if you do and let me know if you need a place to stay. We only have a small apartment, but I know my parents would be more than happy to see you and put you up at their place.

-Katie

Tara said...

Happy Birthday!! There's nothing wrong with fishing. I hope you make it to CA. It's always a fun place.

Rob and Marseille said...

happy birthday!