Saturday, February 7, 2009

Carnivorous Love

I completed a long overdue task today--cleaning out and organizing our freezers. We have our regular small freezer over our fridge, and then a chest freezer out in our back room/study/laundry room. They were both so full that they would barely close, and I haven't kept up with the inventory of what I had in my freezer since.... I think last summer, so I wasn't even sure exactly what I had in there. I love to shop grocery sales, so when meat is a really good price I will buy a lot, and then come home and freeze it in meal size amounts. I also like to stock up on frozen vegetables or occasionally frozen juice concentrate when they go on sale, and when I have room I'll freeze loaves of bread or meals.

Once I had everything cleared out of both freezers and sorted in to like piles, I realized that I had a lot of steak. We don't eat steak very often (usually just as stew meat in Kendall's famous fast Sunday stew recipe, from his dad), but I will buy it when it goes on sale for $1.79/lb. or less. I'm not really a big meat eater. I never liked red meat growing up, and it wasn't until I was pregnant with Adriana that I actually wanted to eat a hamburger or steak. In fact, in order to stretch our food budget we'll eat meatless dinners at least once or twice a week (don't worry, I make sure we still get protein from things like beans), or I will half the amount of meat in a recipe (i.e. use 1/2 lb. hamburger instead of 1 lb.).

As I was cleaning out the freezer I called out, to no one in particular, "Wow, we need to eat a lot more steak!" From the living room came Kendall's reply, "I have never loved you as much as I love you right now!"

I know at least one person who won't mind having a meatier diet for a while. :)

No comments: