Sunday, February 15, 2009

Silence is Not So Golden

For the past two days Adriana has not been able to talk at all, except the barest of whispers that is hard to hear even when I'm standing right next to her. As a speech-pathologist I'm intrigued by why she has lost her voice, since she really hasn't been coughing enough to inflame her vocal folds, but that's beside the point. It's been unusually quiet around here without our little chatterbox's constant dialogue, just her eerie noisy, wheezy breathing. I think even Miriam has noticed how much quieter it has been--she's definitely been babbling and shrieking a lot more than she typically does.

On the plus side the nebulizer does seem to be helping, as well as the priesthood blessing Adriana received yesterday. We still had a long night last night, especially since Albuterol makes Adriana very hyper for several hours after a treatment. Her fever was lower today though, and there were times she actually wanted to eat or drink, so I'm hopeful about sleeping more tonight. I'll be glad when our little girl is all the way back to her normal, talkative, quirky self.

5 comments:

brinestone said...

Aw. Poor Adriana. Hopefully she starts getting a lot better soon.

Candice McWhorter said...

Poor thing! It's the hardest thing as a mother to see your child not being themselves.
Question: as a speech pathologist did you ever work with autistic children?
if you get this comment and decide to respond, post a comment on one of mine so I know you responded :) thanks.

Candice McWhorter said...

well I ask because I've been watching my 2 year old closely. His language development is not really progressing at all. He's 2 (in a couple weeks) and the only words he says clearly are: mama and dada. And when he uses those he seems like he's still confused as to which is which.
A few of his other behaviours also fall under the autistic side but socially he doesn't seem awkward. He's very outgoing, he makes eye contact, but I'm not an expert on
I dunno, I don't go in to his pediatrician for his 2 year check up until March.
Any thing I need to look for in particular???

Our little family said...

I hope Adriana gets better soon! Don't know if this is the same or not, but my grandmother has been prone to laryngitis at least once a year since she was a little girl. She loses for voice for a week or so without many other symptoms, just the lost voice. She's had it happen for as long as she can remember. Hope she feels better soon! Did you talk to your doctor about trying something besides Albuterol to try to avoid the hyperactivity? And she's old enough for a breathing chamber instead of the nebulizer. Much faster than the nebulizer, and Katie tolerates it much better than the nebulizer mask.

Brent and Janae Pickett said...

Suzanne,
How's Adriana doing? We've been thinking about her a lot these last couple days. Hope everything's getting better.