Sunday, February 8, 2009

It Was a Hit!

We decided to have family home evening tonight instead of tomorrow because Grandma and Grandpa were coming over for dinner. (Have I mentioned that we love having them so close now?) It's often a challenge to find lessons and activities that will hold the interest of a talkative three-year-old and an always-on-the-go eighteen-month-old, both with short attention spans, while still getting to actually teach gospel principles. We did a very simple activity tonight that was really a hit. I took ten plastic Easter eggs (I would do more with older children, or if we had had more than two children participating) that I put slips of paper in with a gospel-related word or phrase, one per egg. I also put an M&M in each egg. Then before family home evening I hid the eggs in the living room, some very easy to reach and obvious for Miriam, others trickier for Adriana to find. Then during family home evening I had the girls take turns finding an egg, bring it back to the couch, and we would open it and talk about why the word in that egg was important and why it could help us to be happy (our overall theme for that family home evening). Getting to eat the M&Ms in their eggs made the activity that much more engaging for our girls. The egg with "sharing" in it had an extra surprise of enouch M&Ms for that person to share with everyone else. I liked this activity because it was so easy and quick to prepare, and we can easily modify it for any number of topics. We'll definitely be doing it again.

7 comments:

jessi said...

Thanks for the great idea. We will try that. . . maybe tonight!

Candice McWhorter said...

What a great idea! I'm going to have to swipe this one.

Melissa said...

Great idea!

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I love reading your blog! It's fun seeing how you're doing a wonderful job encouraging your daughters' creativity and enthusiasm for life while teaching the gospel. You truly are an amazing woman and mother. I miss you!

LittleFamilyJL said...

I love it! That's a great idea.

Marie said...

I agree with everyone else ... what a great idea! Thanks for sharing so we can all steal the idea. :)

Rian Krommenhoek said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure coy will love it too.