Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Not Shy

Adriana has no problem making new friends, and she's typically not hesitant or shy in new situations. Tonight was our Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet (yep, I'm working with the Bears, or nine-year-old scouts, right now, as well as on our ward's Enrichment committee). Before it started Adriana ran up to a little girl from another ward who looked about her age and said, "I'm friendly!" followed by a big hug. The poor girl wasn't sure what to make of Adriana (the whole idea of "personal space" is practically nonexistent to our three-year-old), but luckily for her Adriana's best friend from church arrived right then so Adriana ran off to new adventures. While in many situations it is nice to have a child who isn't afraid to try new things, handles changes in her routine well, and is able to get along with new people, the whole concept of strangers hasn't seemed to click with her yet despite the talks we've had. I should really emphasize that more, and maybe role-play some situations with her. Any ideas about how to teach "stranger danger" concepts without squashing her friendly personality?

5 comments:

Candice McWhorter said...

Oh my goodness...your daughter is so hilarious! I love seeing a new post to see what Adrianna has been up to lately. It always gives me my laugh for the day.
Thanks for the prayers and thoughts for our family. They were definitely felt.

Rob and Marseille said...

Christopher has the same problem. We were at my drs appt in the waiting room and CHristopher started patting/rubbing this girl's hair and shoulder. Her mom was closer than I and removed his hand. I said, "Christopher, even if you want to be her friend you still have to give her some personal space." The mom chuckled.

glassGirl said...

We had the same problem with Johnathan. He understood the idea of "don't talk to strangers" as "there are some people we don't talk to," but I was never able to define "strangers" satisfactorily. RADkids helped a lot, but that's something they do in grade school. Maybe check and see if information from the program is available online? Or ask your pediatrician for suggestions?

Marie said...

Funny, we don't have quite the same problem in our family. :P Although Edison could very well be more like that down the road since he already loves smiling at anyone who will so much as glance at him.

LittleFamilyJL said...

She is so cute. What a personality!