Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Runner I Am Not

That's right, I am definitely not a runner. I've never enjoyed running, especially long distances, and in junior high and high school I was Queen of the Ten Minute Mile. No Presidential Awards for me. All that aside, however, lately I've been looking for ways to be more active. With small children at home and Kenny working full-time I didn't think I would use a gym membership enough to justify the cost (the gyms near our house don't have childcare options, and the few times I actually get a babysitter I'm not going to waste my "free time" with going and exercising). I do periodically check out exercise videos from the library, but there's no guarantee what will be available and my enthusiasm has waned a bit since Adriana has started critiquing me ("You're not doing it right, Mommy! You need to have shoes like she does on T.V.! How come you're not using purple weights? Can I do it, too? I need help!") or just laughing because "you look so silly!" Not to mention Miriam seeing Mom as her personal jungle gym any time I pull out my exercise mat or try to do stretches. I've resisted this for more than a year, but the obvious answer is to just go running in the morning before Kenny leaves for work. Except I really hate running. Really.

Even so, I couldn't ignore the perks of such a low-cost, time efficient, easy to do, didn't have to worry about kids exercise option, so a few weeks ago I did start running several mornings a week. I debated whether I should post anything about this, but I figured it was probably a good thing because now I'm more accountable for actually sticking with this because I know people will ask. I'm still waiting for those wonderful, addicting endorphins to kick in that everyone talks about to make me feel energized instead of just sweaty. And I'm certainly not as ambitious as my sister-in-law who trained for a marathon. Maybe a 5K. Someday. Maybe. Any advice you could share, all of you runners out there?

6 comments:

Marie said...

I'm certainly no runner, so I don't have any advice to give, but good for you! I want to do regular exercise, too (once I'm off restrictions from my doctor--only one more week!). Who knows? Maybe you'll inspire me to start running.

Christine said...

Well, I guess none of us Alford females are runners. It must run in the family, or not run, I guess... (ha,ha)
I actually did enjoy running for a short period of time in high school. I even looked into joining the track team, but I just wasn't that passionate about it.
I also ran a little off and on in college with my roommate Karen. From this latest experience, I recommend running to music. I think it makes it much more enjoyable, and it's easier to keep a pace, or to keep going til the end of a song, etc.
Hope that helps. And let me know how it's going! I'll be one of those people who asks you about it. :)

Sherise said...

Way to go, Suzanne! Try signing up for a 5K fun run. It'll give you something to work toward, and it's a lot of fun to cross a finish line with people cheering you on. (Plus, you usually get a cool t-shirt.) Keep it up!

glassGirl said...

Also not a runner. Sorry. I wish you the best, but I have to say, I've never encountered that magical "runner's high." Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Pamela said...

I think my feelings about running are summed up by a T-shrit I once saw: "Track: My sport is your sport's punishment."

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I thought of you today on my run. As I was practically crawling up the last hill, I contemplated the many reasons I despise hills and kept proposing justifications for walking instead of running. Then I thought about how even though you're not a runner, you get out there and do it. So even though I'm not a hill runner, I could just do it. So I made it to the top of the hill because of you. Thanks for the extra motivation today. :P