Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter Weekend

Our Easter festivities started on Friday with a trip to our local grocery store, Maceys, for their annual egg treasure hunt. The children had to look for pictures of animals hidden throughout the store. When they found one and told the store worker what sound that animal would say, they were rewarded with a plastic Easter egg filled with candy. There was also face painting, homemade bunny ears, and a guest appearance from the real Easter bunny (according to Adriana, which I found a little funny since we've never included an Easter bunny in our Easter activities here at home). Miriam wanted nothing to do with a 6 foot tall person in a bunny suit--she even balked at walking past him to get to the next activity. Once we were out of sight of the oversize Easter monstrosity she had a lot of fun.
On Saturday we decorated Easter eggs. Our egg dying kit this year was zoo-themed. There were zoo stickers and animal egg holders, and even a gray-colored dye for making an elephant. The stickers ended up being perfect, since I had decided to let the girls decorate their own eggs this year and not worry about making the eggs fancy or pretty like I did last year. They had a blast, and there was only one tipped over cup of egg dye (all over Miriam's clothes, the table, the floor--good thing it was only yellow :).
Usually we do all of our secular Easter activities on the Saturday before Easter, but this year we decided to have our egg and candy hunt on Sunday since we were all (grandparents, uncles, aunt) going to be at Mom and Dad's house for dinner between Conference sessions. Of course, in typical unpredictable Utah spring weather, we woke up that morning to several inches of snow, so we moved the egg hunt indoors.
And yes, we did go for matching Easter dresses. I figure I only have a few years before the girls won't tolerate that anymore, so I might as well take advantage of it now. They're awfully cute!

1 comment:

Rob and Marseille said...

i love their easter dresses!
we won't be coming to this month's preschool field trip