Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Pioneer Day!

For those who do not live in Utah, the 24th of July is a state holiday called Pioneer Day, celebrated in honor of the Mormon pioneers arriving in and settling Utah on July 24, 1847. While for many this holiday is just an excuse to not go to work (although that's not true for everyone, seeing how Kendall still had work today) and to use up the rest of your fireworks stash from the 4th of July, it is a nice time to remember and teach my children about the pioneers and the hand the Lord had in bringing them here to Utah. Yeesh, that was wordy, but you get my point.

To celebrate Pioneer Day, I got permission to have Adriana attend a Primary activity held this morning, even though she isn't technically a Sunbeam (age 4) yet. Here she is in her "pioneer clothes." Note the authentic bright blue pioneer Crocs. The bonnet is actually one of Miriam's baby bonnets, but luckily Adriana has an unusually small head and was able to don it as part of her wonderful "pioneer-y" ensemble.

As part of the activity the children had to walk to where the games and activities were, up the side of a mountain to another church building (yes, being in Utah it was technically a real mountain, although it wasn't too far, just a little steep).

Adriana managed to get a little help from one of the other Primary children. I also pushed her part of the way with Miriam in the stroller.

There were several cute activities throughout the morning. Here is Adriana making some butter (take thick, very cold cream and shake it hard until it turns in to butter). The children were able to eat their butter spread on rolls as part of their snack at the end of the activity.

Here's Adriana washing and hanging up some clothes. She insisted that she could do everything by herself and she really did surprisingly well with the various activities and chores. I should put her to work at home more often...


It was a fun morning. It was nice to sing the pioneer songs and hear the stories, and Adriana loved interacting with "the big kids." And yes, we will be doing sparklers tonight. :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I should have done SOMETHING today. But yeah, Peiwen/Darcy worked, too. His boss worked a half-day, and nearly everyone else took the day off (because they had an excuse to, I expect.)

Do you have any pioneer ancestry? I could tell Ehrin's story about the buffalo(s) and the bear (how do you pluralize "buffalo"??), but I don't have any utah pioneer ancestors of my own. (Except the whole joint church ancestry thing, you know - I can consider them ancestors of faith instead of ancestors by blood.) It almost feels like cheating, though.

Suzanne said...

I've got pioneer ancestors on my Mom's and my Dad's sides. Don't they always tell us at church that we ALL have pioneer ancestors, they just didn't all cross the Plains? Something like that, but I suppose it is true that someone in your family line was the first to join the Church, even if it wasn't at the time of Joseph Smith or Brigham Young. I don't think it's like cheating. Their stories are probably even more interesting. :)