Friday, October 16, 2009

What Else Can I Try?

I apologize that I have often made this blog a place to ask general questions ("Who knows of a good mechanic?") or to ask for favors ("May I borrow a mini muffin tin?"), but I've had good responses so I'm probably not going to stop. :)

The problem is thus: Short of waiting until I'm not pregnant anymore, what can I do for nausea? Any ideas? I'm open to any old wives' tales you may have and I'll try anything that would be safe while pregnant. I've tried Zofran (usually just throw it up, but even the few times I've kept it down I'm still really nauseous and it makes me dizzy), and things like vitamin B and ginger in various forms have not helped. Not all days are as bad as others, of course, and when I haven't been able to even keep liquids down for more than 24 hours I can take a nice little 3 1/2 hour trip to our friendly local hospital for some I.V. therapy, but even that hasn't really helped after about a day and a half (well, I suppose it rehydrates me, which is a big plus).

Of course, there is the hope that things will magically get better once I'm through this first trimester soon, but seeing how things have been progressively worse each week and I've already been sicker than I was when I was carrying Miriam (which is saying something, and that didn't go away for a big chunk of my pregnancy), I'm not holding out much hope. In the meantime, with a house that is an absolute disastrous house, a family who really hasn't been eating very well the past month or so, and a mommy who is too often crabby or impatient with her kids, I'm desperate to try anything.

OK, I'm done with my whining rant. I know that things could be much, much worse. The baby appears to be healthy, I'm not hospitalized or on bed rest, no one in my household has swine flu, Kendall has a job, and on and on and on. Even so, life would certainly be easier if I could just stop throwing up!

7 comments:

glassGirl said...

Have you tried Dramamine? That worked for me when I was pregnant with Catherine. It made me very, very drowsy at first, but it made enough of a difference that I was willing to live with the side effects. My doctor told me it was OK to take, but obviously you'll want to check with yours before you try it.

Toni Longman Murray said...

Suzanne, I am so sorry you are so miserably sick! That really stinks! I have absolutely no advice to offer, having never been pregnant myself, but lots of sympathy and love!

I hope you feel better soon!

C Tam said...

Hypnobabies has an "eliminate nausea now" mp3 track you could download and listen to (http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=4058). It costs $16, but apparently has a great success record, and I have LOVED the rest of the hypnobabies program so far to help with enjoying my pregnancy. I have yet to birth this baby (any day now!), but have already felt instant relief of discomfort or itching when I apply the hypnosis tools from the course. I assume you could use just that one MP3 without doing the entire course to receive benefit. Might be worth a try?

Pamela said...

Since you're willing to give "old wives tales" a try, have you done the acupressure thing? http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Nausea-With-Acupressure That's the big point. There's another in the groove just behind your jawbone and just below your ear.

Also, I highly recommend Dr. Frazier in Orem. He's a chiropractor and alternate medicine doctor, and he's really helped me with my acid reflux. His website is here: http://www.absolutehealthcenter.net/

Suzanne said...

Thanks for all the great suggestions from everyone. I'll let you know what works!

Tara said...

I took promethazine for nausea when I was pregnant. It knocked me out for a few hours when I took it so I usually took it at night, but when I woke up the nausea would be totally gone and I was hungry. I got it prescription from my obstetrician. Might be worth a try. The prescription was pretty cheap.

Rob and Marseille said...

I'm sorry zofran didn't work for you...how is preschool working out?
is it helpful having an "older" child and playmate?