My mom has also agreed to help me make a more "princess-y" curtain for the doorway and a skirt for the platform (that hides a bin of toys). The bed was so big that I couldn't get it all in one shot from across the room, so you'll have to use your imagination. Here's the front. The turrets are my favorite part.
Here is the platform on the side for climbing up, along with our "princess mirror." You can tell that the mirror is just at the right height for little fingers to mark all over it. The platform takes up more room than a ladder, but I like that Miriam can easily climb up and down by herself.
Each of the shields has a hidden compartment for treasures behind it. Adriana keeps all of her little dinosaur toys in this one.
The curtain to cover the doorway. What I didn't take a picture of was the inside. It is completely carpeted with dark grey carpet, so when the curtain is drawn Adriana likes to go in with a flashlight and pretend she is in a cave. It will also look a lot better once everything is painted and the keystone is the same color as the arch.
The top bunk. Right now we have a crib mattress up there, but once we move Adriana to the top bunk and Miriam to the bottom, I'll be putting a regular twin mattress up there. The top bunk has become home for all of Adriana's stuffed animals, as well as several pillows and blankets. It's always a mess, but frankly I don't care because no one except children go up there much. You can also see that it is carpeted up there, as well. One thing I like about this bed is that it is sturdy enough for Kendall and I to both climb up there with the girls.
So that is the castle bed. It's still a work in progress, and I'm not exactly sure when I will get around to finishing it (the goal is before Miriam moves in to Adriana's room, sometime after Christmas), but I'll be sure to take pictures when I do. Thank you again, Marcie!
8 comments:
Suzanne, how did you do that awesome bed?! What material is it made from? How did you do the turrets and the carpting? And is the opening where the drawbridge would be a bed also? Wow! You have some lucky girls!!
Marcie had built the bed herself from scratch, and she came over for two days and helped me (OK, I helped her--she was the one who knew what she was doing) put it together. It's all wood and screws and nails, and then I think all of the carpet is connected with a staple gun. The "drawbridge" opening is the bottom bunk, where Adriana sleeps now. The bed was built around the bottom bunk twin mattress, which I won't be able to get out unless I dismantle the whole bed.
Wow! What an amazing bed! Those are lucky girls!
I like to paint! I can help! (And why not put dinosaurs on, huh? =P)
Pam, you're hired. Want to help me finish painting my hallway, too? As for the dinosaurs, I'm not at all opposed to the concept, I'm just skeptical as to my ability to draw decent looking dinosaurs. Especially since I have a daughter who is very critical if a depiction of a dinosaur is not exactly right. Case in point, just today she was telling me that a picture of a flying reptile could not possibly be Quetzalcoatlus because the crest on its head was not the right shape.
WOW!! That's all I can think to say. That will be fun for years to come.
how fun! but, how do you change the sheets on the bottom matteress?
There's a few extra inches on all sides between the mattress and the walls, so it's really not too bad. Of course, when I'm huge in a few months it may be Kendall who changes the sheets... :)
Post a Comment