Monday, September 28, 2009

Any Ideas?

Does anyone know of a really good car mechanic in the Provo area? We usually go to Steve's Intermountain Service and have been really happy with the service there, but they haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with our car. It's time to try somewhere else. Our check engine light keeps coming on, and now twice while we have been driving (once on University Avenue, once just on 7th North, thankfully not on I-15) our car has completely died with no warning. It will be driving fine, when all of a sudden I'll have no power (almost like I was out of gas, except I'm not), and the clock and everything on the dashboard will turn off. Both times we've been able to get the car to start again with a little effort, but when we take it to Steve's they can't find anything wrong.

This would be upsetting any time, but it's especially important that we figure this out since it's our only car and I don't like being terrifed every time I drive it anywhere. Maybe this will force our hand in deciding if we need to buy a car (or van? I wish). We were hoping to get another year out of this car (or even, luxury! have two working cars at one time), but we did know we'll need to get a new car/van in the future since we can't fit three full sized car seats in the back of our car (although we can fit two full sized car seats and a booster, or and an infant seat, barely) and I don't hold out much hope that Adriana will weigh enough to graduate to a booster seat before she's in junior high. Ha, ha, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but the way things are going there's a good chance that we will have three children needing a full sized car seat all at the same time.

On a completely unrelated note, right now Adriana is listening to a CD, "Alvin and the Chipmunks Sing the Beatles." That's right, the Beatles sung two octaves too high and I'm actually not finding it annoying. That is, of course, compared to a lot of the music she listens to. (Shouldn't she be full of teenage angst before I object to her music?) Adriana loves listening to music in her room. I let her check out CD's at the library, and let me tell you, chipmunks singing the Beatles are preferable to hearing Raffie played over and over again, CD's with songs about dinosaurs and bad rhymes, and any sane person can only handle so much Wiggles music in one day. So yeah, this one is kind of catchy.

4 comments:

C Tam said...

aaah, the mechanic search is a bit scary. Sorry we have no advice to offer in that area, except that it can be helpful to look at the Better Business Bureau ratings. Anyway, if you do end up searching for a "new" pre-owned car anytime soon, we have about half a dozen checks left on our autofax account that you are welcome to use up. We can run the VIN for you on any vehicles you are considering to help narrow down your choices.

Melissa said...

Smith's Garage over by the Provo DI. Sketchy looking, but do a great job at a great price! Call ahead, they are always days out because of their popularity. Have you checked to make sure the electrical plug under the hood is plugged in? I'm not exactly sure what I'm talking about, but my parents had a car once where they thought it needed a new transmission and other work, but it turned out that "something" wasn't plugged in all the way under the hood that made the car die and other electrical things die like yours. Vague help I know. :)

Christine said...

Jeff HIGHLY recommends 1st Choice Auto Repair. They are located at 1900 N State St. Jeff says they're a small establishment, and it's set back a little ways from the road. But they were able to diagnose a tricky problem he was having with his car a few years ago. Their phone number is 801-377-1500.
Hope you're able to get it fixed!

jjp said...

Japanese car - Japanese Auto repair. Nice guys, seem to really know what they are doing. But it has to be a Japanese car, as far as I can tell.

Bereton's Auto - Been there a couple of times. I think Andy Howell also likes them.

Campus American Car Care - Or whatever their name is - Just off campus across from Wendy's. I take both cars there for oil changes, mostly because it is a parking lot away from my office. They have done some work on the truck before...