Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Farewell, Old Abe


Well, we sold our Corolla last night. I'm thrilled--we got our asking price, and now I should be able to get the fence for our backyard that we have wanted since we first moved in. It is a little bittersweet, though. That was the car I learned to drive with, and then my dad sold us (OK, gave us since he only charged us $1) right before we were married, we used it to move across the country after the wedding, and that was the car we used to bring Adriana home from the hospital. The pins from Kenny's corsage from the day we got married were still stuck in the side of the front seat, and when we cleaned out the glove compartment we found hotel receipts from our honeymoon.

Even so, it was time for the car to go. It has been sitting in our garage for a year and a half, unused, and the work it needed to get it to pass safety and emissions was going to cost more than we estimated the car was worth. So while I will be a little sad to see the car go, I'm looking forward to being able to use our garage again for a car we actually drive (no more scraping windshields in the winter or having a sweltering car in the summer!), and I am really, really excited to have a fenced backyard. When we go outside, Miriam is just too good at watching to see when I am distracted, sneaking around to the side of our house, and then running as fast as she can to get to the front yard. Yikes. Now we just need to officially ask the Elder's Quorum to come help us clear our backyard....

("Old Abe" is what we used to call the car when I was growing up, because it had the letters "ABE" on its license plate.)

3 comments:

LittleFamilyJL said...

Bon voyage Abe.
And how exciting that you're getting a fenced in backyard!!! People may laugh, but that is one of my biggest dreams! :)

Marie said...

Old Abe had quite a long life, but I'm really glad that you were able to sell it. Hooray for getting a fence! And I always kinda wondered what those pins in the seat were from, but I never thought to ask. Now I know! :)

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Hey, I remember that car. I guess it's the end of the era.