Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Time to Get This Child a Pet Already

Hmmmm, maybe. Yep, I'm still dragging my feet on the whole pet issue, and Adriana is still faithfully trying to wear me down by asking every day for a pet. She likes to remind me that I got to have two pets when I was growing up (a lizard and a bird, although I remind her back that I was twelve before we had a pet).

Her love of animals and all things living reached a new level today, though. There was a gnat flying near her today during lunch, and when I reached out and caught it with my hand Adriana burst in to actual tears. "Did you squish it?!" (Yes.) "But he liked me! [puts on indignant voice] You should have waited for Daddy to come home. He catches bugs and then puts them outside to find their home." She was really upset and put out with me. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised, since this is the same child who finds snails, potato bugs, worms, and other various creepy crawlies outside and them creates "homes" for them (with buggy friends, things to eat, places to crawl on, etc.) in our backyard; we've had more than one disagreement about what "pets" or "friends" we should bring in to our house.

I was also advised this afternoon (make that ordered) to wait for Daddy to get the spider crawling up the wall in the bathroom. Too bad. If there's an insect, arachnid, or rodent in my home of any kind, it will be disposed of. I'm just waiting until Adriana is not in the room to give me guilt trips when I do the necessary squishing, catching, or poisoning. I know--I'm heartless. And I still don't really want a pet. I have a feeling that it's going to be inevitable and I will give in someday. How long will she be satisfied with a fish?

3 comments:

Rob and Marseille said...

a fish counts as a pet. sorry, if our hamsters made it worse. When we got the hamsters I told rob we could have them as long as I didn't have to clean their cage. He said fine as long as I don't play with them. That's fine with me.

Pamela said...

Hmm, maybe you shouldn't bring her over to play with my cats. =P

Tara said...

Our rabbit has turned out all right. But we waited until Kate was old enough to clean out the cage and feed her(age 9)because I currently have enough living things to take care of. We keep the rabbit outside year round but the girls can still hold her and play with her. So for me, she's a good pet.