Monday, November 15, 2010

Adriana's FHE Success

I was really impressed with Adriana tonight. Earlier today she asked me if she could be in charge of all of our family home evening. I said that was fine, as long as the lesson was on a gospel-centered topic that didn't involve dinosaurs.

Completely on her own, Adriana planned a lesson and activity about temples. She drew and cut out two small temples and a smiling person, and then hid them in the living room before dinner without anyone else in the family noticing. Once FHE had started, Adriana had Kendall, me, and Miriam search for the hidden pictures. Then she had us all sing "I Love to the See the Temple." Miriam and I were supposed to hold up our temple pictures every time we sang the word "temple," and then Kendall was supposed to hold up his smiling person every time we sang "I," "me" or "my." Adriana then showed us a picture of the Washington, D.C. temple and we all had a discussion about why that temple is special to our family (that's where Kendall and I were sealed) and the importance of temples. She then ended by going through the house with Miriam trying to find all of our pictures of the temple (there were five). It was a great family home evening, even more amazing because Miriam actually paid attention and participated.

I love parenting moments like tonight!

2 comments:

jessi said...

I think that just shows what a great job you are doing as mommy/parents. She only learns things like this by example you know. Pretty inspiring actually. You have really taught her how to have fun with FHE. . . . I need to get more into the swing of that again. It is always great for them to be in charge or give the lesson every so often. Thanks for sharing!

Rob and Marseille said...

that was a very creative Family Home Evening!