Saturday, January 24, 2009

Morning at the Museum

Our preschool field trip yesterday was at BYU's Museum of Peoples and Cultures. Despite having lived in Provo for more than a decade now (I know, shocking, isn't it?), I had never been to this museum so I wasn't sure what to expect. We all had a lot of fun. The two exhibits that are there now are 1) Touching the Past: Traditions of Casas Grandes, and 2) Kachinas of the Southwest: Dances, Dolls, and Rain. One of the other mothers from our preschool had made up a cute scavenger hunt with pictures and questions and textures (we've been "texture detectives" in preschool this month) the children could look for and mark off as they found them.
Miriam's favorite part of the field trip was playing with a little boy her age. She also liked waiting until I was distracted, sneaking away, and then running around screaming until I caught her.

The hands-on parts of the exhibit were also a hit. The museum office even gave us a box of actual kachina dolls for the kids to touch. There was also a room with books, puzzles, and things to color at the end.
I also learned that the Museum of Peoples and Cultures has a story time every Friday at 11:00, so the majority of our group stayed after our field trip. The theme that day was the Chinese New Year, and the children were able to make red paper lanterns (sorry, I didn't get a picture of that, but it's now hanging proudly in Adriana's room). Miriam decided that she could do just as good a job as the storyteller, so she climbed up on the stage, "borrowed" one of his books, and simultaneously read us her own story.
It was a fun and educational morning. I think we'll be visiting the Museum of Peoples and Cultures again.

2 comments:

About Ours Good One Home said...

How fabulous! I don't suppose I could get a copy of the scavenger hunt page?

LittleFamilyJL said...

It looks like a lot of fun! Poor Dallin got sick this week so we missed out!