Adriana completed a row of stickers this morning, and the reward she was working for was "Play ponies with Mommy." So we did. I spent a good chunk of my morning planning pony pool parties, building pony stables, and acting out pony sleepovers. I think it was Adriana who came up with the idea of having me fix their ponies' hair. Having both had birthdays recently, my girls have accumulated quite a few ponies (thanks, Aunt Christine!). Adriana and Miriam spread all of the ponies out in a big line so they could "wait" their turn for the "hair stylist" (aka Mommy). As I was fixing hair, Adriana worked on creating a stage and "audience place" so that the ponies could either be in or watch a pony hair fashion show. Here's a picture of a few of them on their stage, as well as our eager audience.
There may still be laundry needing to be folded, dishes waiting to be loaded in the dishwasher, and vacuuming, sweeping, and mopping that was left undone, but sometimes it's nice to take the time to just play with my kids.
4 comments:
Wow, playing with girls is so much different from playing with boys. I think I'd like playing with girls more. (Sorry, boys!)
I love this post! My mom has a poem that she had hanging in our home growing up:
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait to till tomorrow,
For babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs; Dust, go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
Ruth: Oh, we have plenty of digging in the dirt, playing with bugs, pretending we're dinosaurs, and super hero playing, too. (Although not a lot of cars and balls--I imagine I'll play more of those types of games with Darren when he's bigger.)
Jocelyn: I love that poem, although it always makes me a little sad because I realize how fast my kids are growing up, and I really don't stop and just enjoy playing with them often enough.
That's a great idea Suzanne!! I like the idea of rewarding chores with time with Mommy. We'll have to try that.
Post a Comment