Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Piano At Last

Kenny took this picture of the girls "playing" the piano with me tonight before bed, and I realized that I have neglected to post about a very exciting event in our house. We have a piano! While I am certainly no Rachmaninoff, I did grow up playing the piano (my mother is an amazing pianist and has taught piano lessons for as long as I can remember) and I have really missed not having a piano in my home. I've been scouring Craigslist and reading listings for pianos for years, and I've started a "piano savings fund" several times, but with steep medical bills, a mortgage, job instability, etc. since we've been married, it's never been feasible for me to get a piano before.

Let me just say, thank you, thank you, thank you (!!!!) to Mom and Dad, as well as Jeff and Christine. Long story short, Jeff has a baby grand piano that he and Christine don't have room for in their condo, so Mom and Dad are "babysitting" it until the Andersons have a bigger place. Mom didn't need to have two pianos, of course, so now the upright I grew up playing is here in my living room. I love having a piano! I'd forgotten how much playing can help me de-stress. I like playing "dancing music" for Adriana as she twirls around the room (just like I used to do when my mom played), and I love playing and singing Primary and children's songs with my girls. Adriana likes to sit at the piano and make up her own, um, "interesting" songs (the lowest bass notes are always the sound of a monster), and as soon as I sit down at the piano to play Miriam will stop whatever she is doing and come over wanting to play, too.

After not having a piano or practicing regularly for so long I'm a bit rusty, but I'm already getting "back in the swing of things" as I play more often. Now I need to just borrow some more piano music from Mom. . . . :)

2 comments:

Marie said...

I still think that is awesome that you're able to have Mom and Dad's piano for now. Maybe someday we'll get a keyboard or something.... But I'm glad that your girls like the piano so much, too. Enjoy!

Melissa said...

Yahoo! That has got to be so much fun for you!